In your definition, what is a weed?
Readers on a gardening site, Daves Garden give the following definitions of what a weed is:
- Weeds are plants which grow where they are not wanted and if not kept under control, they will compete with the ornamental plants or vegetables for the nutrients and water in the soil.
- Weeds grow, flower and fruit very rapidly so that they spread very quickly and can soon smother other plants.
- Weeds can also harbour pests and diseases and will provide hiding places for slugs and snails.
- A plant that isn't growing where you want it. A nuisance plant that multiplies too fast.
- Any undesired, uncultivated plant that grows out of place and competes with other plants for water, nutrients and space.
- A plant that doesn't oblige you by being "beautiful" in the way you define "beautiful"
As I get (am I really about to say this?) older, I continue to learn about the ways of the world and its inhabitants.
It's very unfortunate that people don't value promises and commitments. It doesn't matter how small it is: "I promise I'll call you" and they don't or "Let's meet at 6" and they pitch up at 7:30.
Friendship, like any relationship, is a mutual business. You take some, you give some. For those who continue to take, they enjoy the pleasures of being spoiled by their friends. They know they'll always be forgiven when they're late for a meeting or will always enjoy the 'free' ride - so to speak. They also never initiate communication. For example, it's alright if they don't call, text or email, because well, that's what the giver always does. So why bother?
But what about the other poor soul? The giver? Does anyone consider how tired they may get from always doing and giving, giving and doing? All the time. So much, that they don't even think twice about it.
Take a guess which of the above descriptions I've been?
I have these random bursts where I want to scream, "Enough is enough!"
I had one of those very recently when I realized how many riff-raffs are hanging around in my life who contribute nothing fulfilling to my well-being. They just suck my energy & drain me.
Last week I was nearly brought to tears when I read the beautiful and heart-warming comments from people about a guest blog I'd written. They were so open about expressing their feelings about me and it put me on such a high for the rest of the day. It got me thinking. These are the kind of people I need to surround myself with. People who emit positive energy without even trying and who make those around them feel good.
When you receive love and warmth from those around you, it's effortless to spread that same love and warmth to others. Agree?
So I'd like to take on a new project - weeding. I want to weed out the people, who just like the plants, "smother those around them" or especially those that "harbor pests and diseases and provide hiding places for slugs and snails".
I'd love to know your opinion and thoughts.